If you are following an AIP diet and starting to plan your Thanksgiving day menu, I recommend adding parsnips. Mashed parsnips are a great substitute for potatoes providing a great source of: fiber, vitamin C, and B vitamins.
- 1 pound of parsnips
- ¼ cup of ghee or coconut oil
- 1 clove of roasted garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel parsnips and chop into one inch pieces.
- Boil the parsnips until tender, drain.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend with an immersion blender or mash with a fork.
You can substitute other herbs for the parsley, for example, fennel pairs nicely with parsnips.