There’s something very satisfying about having a warm bowl of comfort food, especially in the winter. This warm, tasty meal loaded with veggies has become one of our new favorite meals. As the gnocchi breaks down, it gives it a creamy texture, making it even better as leftovers. In the past everyone in the family wanted the leftovers, including myself, so I’ve learned to make a bigger batch. I have also varied the recipe to whatever vegetables I had on hand or wanted to use up. Enjoy!
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2-3/4 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Medium size head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 4-6 ounces of full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos
- Over medium heat, brown sausage meat pulling it apart into crumbles. When cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.
- While sausage is cooking, in a separate pan bring salted water to a boil (1/4-1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2-1 cup water- enough water to steam broccoli but not fully immersed), add broccoli, reduce heat to low and cook until desired softness.
- Remove excess grease from the pan. Using the same pan, add onion and peppers, cooking on medium heat until soft. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to the pan, once melted add gnocchi and cook according to instructions on the bag.
- Once gnocchi is cooked, add to the pot: sausage, cooked veggies, turmeric, coconut aminos, coconut milk, sea salt, and stir.
- Add chopped kale, cover with lid until kale is wilted.
- Add broccoli, stir and serve.