I’ve always said my son’s happy place is skiing. My son skis on a mogul freestyle team, which means every weekend from mid-November through March, we are skiing. We all enjoy skiing so it works for our family. Most of the time, my son packs his lunch and is eating on the mountain. This requires some prep time before we go, but it’s worth it!
This week I made a big batch of Paleo Chili, loaded with protein and veggies. Bonus: it made enough for a second meal. Cook once eat twice!
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 pounds of ground meat (turkey, beef, bison)
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalk diced
- 2-3 zucchini or yellow squash diced *Can vary veggies to preference, ends up being about 2 pounds diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 28 ounces chunky tomato sauce
- 2 cups of broth/stock
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in soup pot, add ground meat,browning until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to the same pot, once melted add in veggies (except garlic), sea salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and all veggies are softened.
- Add in crushed garlic, saute for another minute until fragrant.
- Add meat back into the soup pot with veggies.
- Add seasoning and spices, mix to combine.
- Add in tomato paste, tomato sauce and stir to combine
- Add broth, liquid should be a little bit higher than just covering the veggies and meat.
Simmer for 40 minutes. Remove lid to cook off some of the liquid if needed.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or sour cream substitute (I like the plain Kite Hill cream cheese mixed into a bowl of chili).